Carafate Tablets (Sucralfate) is an anti-ulcer medication.
The medicine should be taken orally with a glass of water. It should be taken two to four times in a day about 1 hour before the meals or as recommended by your doctor. Antacids may also be taken if needed. Avoid taking Carafate with other medicines as it may cause serious side effects.
Usually it takes around 4 to 8 weeks for the ulcer to heal completely with this medication.
• Thos who suffer from any type of stomach problems, intestine problems must consult doctor before starting with this medication.
• Senior people with impaired kidney functioning should take this medication only under the supervision of the physician. This medicine contains aluminium which is mainly excreted by kidneys. Hence, caution should be exercised.
• Pregnant and breastfeeding women should take this medication only after consulting the doctor.
• Do not drink alcoholic beverages or smoke while you are on the medication.
Carafate cause minimal side effects when compared to other drugs of same kind.
• It is very effective in treating gastro-esophageal reflux disease in pregnant women.
• It inhibits the formation of stricture in corrosive burns.